Stolen: A Letter to My Captor - Lucy Christopher If Stolen had toyed with my mind a bit more and had not ended quite so abruptly, so unfinished, I would graciously have given it 5 stars. This book grabbed me right from the very first page. I was supposed to save it for a long train trip and just wanted to have a little taste by reading the first two pages or so... Alas!

So sixteen year old Gemma gets kidnapped at Bangkok airport. A carefully plotted crime: her abductor watched her for years, arranged a passport and flight, drugs her and shoves her in the trunk of his rental car and brings her to his haven in the Australian Outback, a deserted and desperate place. Or so it appears to Gemma as she tries to escape over and over again, for it's the barren land that turns out to be her real merciless captor.
This sounds pretty horrible right? The girls' captor however, Ty, is something else. He is not only handsome - with his icy blue eyes and muscular body - he is gentle and caring as well. He genuinely wants the best for Gemma. He always has.

You can sense where this story takes you: straight to the Stockholm Syndrome. Christopher portrays Ty as only slightly troubled, but mostly likeable and sexy. Since he and Gemma are the only characters occupying the book, you sort of expect - taking the ya genre into account - and want them to get together. Yes, the author got me right where she intended me to be: I did feel a bit sorry for poor Ty for having saved stolen this unappreciative murderous girl. I had to pinch and remind myself more then once of the revolting thing he had done: tossing that poor girl into the blazing heat like some will-less trophy! The naive, romantic idiot!

It seemed a little too easy though. As I said, I would have liked Christopher to actually toy with my mind more and wish she had explored Stockholm Syndrome further. There's not much of a challenge in falling for a handsome daydreaming Aussie guy who knows all plants by name. Had she molded him into a slightly more disturbing character, giving me a real sense of danger (Gemma kept thinking she was going to be butchered, but it was just too OBVIOUS that this would never be the case), she would have made Stolen a more intriguing reading experience. Isn't the true incomprehensible thing about this syndrome that sufferers have endured the most horrendous things, yet remain loyal to their abductors?

Another thing I regret was the abrupt ending. Eww..I reluctantly admit that part of me loved for the two to live happily ever after. What I truly hoped for was that - once Gemma got out of her "killing mode" - she would experience all sorts of confusing feelings and let me analyze them as well. Just when she actually started feeling something weird and exciting for Ty, it was all over and done with. Meh.